Sometimes you want bold. Sometimes you like more than one color. Sometimes you like how all of the colors look with each other and want them all in the same room. Sometimes the colors are straight out of the crayon box.
How do you make it look like you're a grown up and not living in an episode of Caillou?
You need to create a canvas for you vibrant colors to be showcased on. It's tempting to make everything vibrant and colorful, but if you follow my easy steps your room will be looking dynamic and bold in no time.
1. Begin to think of your room as a canvas or a play. The large areas like the walls, big pieces of furniture like a couch or a bed need to play a supporting roll and behave more like a background. Remember not everything in your room can be a star. It can get intense if everything in your room is vying for your attention, I mean have you ever been around theater students...
2. Pick a neutral mid tone for the walls, like Sherwin Williams's Relaxed Khaki SW6149
3. Have your large pieces of furniture be in a coordinating neutral like Urban Bronze SW7048 by Sherwin Williams
4. Break it up with crisp whites and "off-blacks" (what the heck is an off-black?)
5. Now bring in the stars of the room
What's your favorite neutral? What's your favorite bold piece? let me know in the comments!